Postdoctoral Fellowships System
The Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) program provides help to a core of the most extremely promising scientists at a crucial amount of time in their professions. The fellowships will also be meant to secure a way to obtain very qualified Canadians with leading-edge scientific and research abilities for Canadian industry, federal government and organizations.
Will you be entitled to a PDF?
To be looked at qualified to receive support, as of the deadline date regarding the in which you apply, you must year:
- be described as A canadian resident or a permanent resident of Canada;
- hold or expect to keep a doctorate in just one of the areas of research that NSERC supports.
- You are able to use only one time towards the PDF program.
- You may possibly submit only 1 application per 12 months to a single granting agency (NSERC, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research CIHR or even the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council SSHRC). You must certainly not have previously gotten an award that is postdoctoralincluding a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship) from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR.
- You need to have finished all needs of one’s degree that is doctoral no than 2 yrs ahead of the deadline date of the season by which you use.
Note: This isn’t the conferred or convocation date suggested on the transcript, but alternatively the date upon which all of the needs of one’s degree were met, such as the effective defence and distribution regarding the corrected copy of the thesis. For candidates with over one doctoral level, the conclusion date of one’s newest doctoral degree is supposed to be utilized to ascertain your eligibility.
- When you have obtained at the least half a year of full-time appropriate employment in industry or federal government (experience with an organization or its affiliated hospitals, research organizations and other laboratories will never be considered) when you received your doctorate, NSERC will extend the eligibility period to 3 years.
- If, within couple of years after the date of conclusion of one’s PhD, you’d your job dramatically interrupted as a result of infection or family that is health-related, NSERC will expand this eligibility duration to 3 years.
- When you have completed a non-research based medical residency system once you received your doctorate, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to three years.
- If, within 2 yrs following date of conclusion of one’s PhD, you’d your job considerably interrupted because of parental, medical and/or responsibilities that are family-related NSERC will extend the eligibility duration to 3 years.
- If, within 2 yrs before or following the date of conclusion of one’s PhD, you feel the caregiver that is primary the delivery or adoption of a young child, NSERC will extend the eligibility duration to six years.
- Then you may be asked by NSERC to provide additional information and/or supporting documentation if you are subject to an extended eligibility period. Any such distribution to NSERC will simply be utilised by staff to evaluate your eligibility towards the system. Then you may do so in the Special Circumstances section of the application if you wish to inform the review committee of delays and/or circumstances that may have affected your performance and/or productivity.
Where is it possible to hold your fellowship?
It is possible to hold your PDF at:
- Canadian organizations
- provincial research organizations in Canada
- other research that is appropriate in Canada
- organizations and research organizations abroad
You simply can’t hold a PDF in Canadian federal federal government laboratories or perhaps in commercial laboratories across Canada.
NSERC encourages one to undertake research that requires collaboration along with other organizations that are canadian. The type regarding the collaboration that is proposed be appropriate to your host site web organization.
- You could hold a PDF abroad only when you’ve got gotten your doctorate from a institution that is canadian.
- NSERC encourages PDF award holders to broaden their research experience by gaining experience of various research surroundings. You aren’t allowed to carry your fellowship during the institution that is sameor its affiliated hospitals, research institutions as well as other laboratories) for which you received your doctorate. But, you might request an exclusion which is considered by the selection committee. The demand should be predicated on medical reasons (as an example, proximity to needed health care facilities), family members reasons (as an example, a partner’s job) or clinical reasons (for instance, accessibility to specialized gear), which will make it very difficult so that you can keep an institution that is particular. Even when your exclusion is provided, you aren’t permitted to be monitored by the PhD supervisor. You might be motivated to add a location that is alternate your PDF in case your ask for an exclusion just isn’t authorized.
- You may maybe not contain the PDF together with your PhD supervisor, even when your supervisor changes research organizations.
- Keeping a PDF abroad may influence your residency status in Canada. You could desire to contact the appropriate Canadian authorities or an expert that is appropriate advice.
How will you apply?
You can easily make an application for a PDF by finishing and Form that is submitting 201 connecting supporting documents if required. See the directions on how best to finish Form 201.
NSERC must receive the application electronically prior to 8:00 p.m. (ET) on 17 october. Incomplete applications may be rejected.
Apart from individual contact information, NSERC will perhaps not accept any noticeable modifications or updates to the application after it’s been submitted. Individual contact information might be updated by delivering a contact to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review procedures and selection requirements
NSERC scholarships and fellowships selection committees review all PDF applications. The choice committees assess each application in line with the selection requirements described within the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships Programs. Observe that NSERC may increase equity and diversity among qualified candidates by providing award concern to meritorious candidates whom self-identify as Indigenous and/or as a female, if enough funds become available. The choice committees are organized in line with the after broad control groups:
- Civil and industrial engineering
- Chemical, biomedical and materials science engineering
- Technical engineering
- Electric engineering
- Computing sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Physics and astronomy
- World sciences
- Ecology and evolution
- Cellular and molecular biology
- Animal and plant biology
The research topic rule (see variety of Research topic Codes for Scholarships and Fellowships) joined regarding the application shall figure out the choice committee where the application is supposed to be assessed. NSERC may designate the applying to a various committee if it determines that the niche matter is much more suitable for another committee.
NSERC expects selection committee users to consistently guard resistant to the likelihood of unconscious bias influencing the decision-making procedure, whether these biases derive from a way of thinking, fundamental versus used research, specific sub-disciplines, aspects of research or approaches (including rising people), size or standing of an organization, age, gender and/or other individual facets for the applicant.
NSERC is functioning on the data that equity, diversity and addition fortify the medical and engineering communities plus the quality, social relevance and effect of research. Candidates should relate to concerns 5 to 7 within the Guide for Candidates: Considering equity, variety and addition in the job to learn more.
A of the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships Programs which provides useful information on what committee members look for in assessing applications in preparing their application, applicants should consult the Selection criteria and indicators section and Appendix. Candidates must also read the guidelines for doing an application – Form 201.
Candidates are examined and chosen based on:
- Analysis potential(70 and ability%)
- Correspondence, social and leadership abilities (30%)
Notification of choice
NSERC will alert all candidates associated with outcomes by the end of January. NSERC will perhaps not offer outcomes by telephone.
NSERC will publish the names (as well as other fundamental award information) of fellowship recipients on its site. To find out more, begin to see the usage of Ideas Act plus the Privacy Act.
Conditions regarding the prize
Relate to the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide for policies and needs about keeping the honor, such as for example acceptance, begin date, deferment, paid leave that is parental keeping the honor on a part-time foundation, etc.